Here’s some Magic the Gathering news straight from Wizard of the Coast themselves:
Wizards of the Coast announced last night that the upcoming Magic: The Gathering product codenamed â€œJellyâ€ now has a real name â€“ Shadowmoor. This expansion set of cards will follow the February 2008 release of Morningtide. Additionally, Wizards revealed the Shadowmoor logo which can be found below.
As previously announced, Shadowmoor marks the beginning of the second set in the Lorwyn block. Instead of the 3-set block of Big Set/ Small set/ Small set, the next four sets (starting with Lorwyn) will be broken up into two interrelated mini-blocks: Big set/ Small set, then Big set/ Small set. Lorwyn will be the first big set, followed by Morningtide and Shadowmoor. Release timing for the two two-set blocks works within the previously scheduled set release dates. Each of the two blocks will have its own theme, its own mechanics, and its own creative design. However, the two blocks are designed to by synergistic and intentionally interconnected.
Press Release after the jump.
Wizards of the Coast Showcases a Suite of Digital Offerings Including Gleemaxâ„¢, Dungeons & Dragons Insiderâ„¢, Magic OnlineÂ® and More at Digital Life 2007
Wizards of the Coast, the leader in trading card, tabletop strategy and role-playing games, will be joining top consumer digital tech companies at the Digital Life show to share its latest announcements around its new digital initiatives targeted at traditional strategy and hobby game players.
In conjunction with Gleemaxâ„¢, the single online social networking site for all gamers, Wizards of the Coast is spotlighting announcements including Dungeons & Dragons Insiderâ„¢, Magic OnlineÂ®, Uncivilized: The Goblin Gameâ„¢ and Eye of Judgmentâ„¢ at the booth. (Booth No. 1422)
* Gleemaxâ„¢ is the recently announced online community site for strategy and hobby gamers whose needs have not been met by major online communities. Gleemaxâ„¢ provides gamers with an online community infrastructure, strategy games and access to news and information relevant to todayâ€™s gamers.
* Releasing in official beta form publicly mid-Oct, fans can sign up early for their own Gleemaxâ„¢ account in the Wizards booth!
Magic: The GatheringÂ®
* Wizards of the Coast recently launched Masters Edition, an exclusive online-only set that reaches into the gameâ€™s illustrious past to reintroduce some of the greatest cards in Magicâ€™sâ„¢ history. The set will include 195 online cards never before available including Force of Will, Armageddon, Juzam Djinn and Mirror Universe. Players can enter to qualify to win a spot in the final event of the Magic OnlineÂ® Worlds Qualifier on October 13th!
* Magicâ„¢ fans can also look forward to Magic OnlineÂ® III coming soon. With a new graphic redesign and user interface, this version features enhancements which increase graphic interaction, community chat, streamline game play, and give access to live customer support and an in-game store front enabling the purchasing of new cards and content without leaving the game environment. Itâ€™s these technologies coupled with unique game play and first of its kind business model that separates Magic OnlineÂ® from other online games.
Dungeons & Dragons Insiderâ„¢
* Dungeons & DragonsÂ® is previewing the recently announced Dungeons & Dragons Insiderâ„¢, a new Web-based set of tools and online community forums designed to enhance the gameplay experience. Launching in 2008 in conjunction with the release of the 4th Edition of Dungeons & DragonsÂ®, D&D Insiderâ„¢ lowers the barriers of entry for new players while simultaneously offering the depth of play that appeals to veteran players.
* Fans can stop by the booth to sign up for the free preview period of D&D Insiderâ„¢ which will gain them access to exclusive content including DM tools, digital D&D Game Table and character creator program. This is the best way to get up-to-the-minute revelations about 4th Edition D&D and D&D Insiderâ„¢ between now and the launch of the new edition next Spring.
Uncivilized: The Goblin Gameâ„¢
* Uncivilized: The Goblin Gameâ„¢ is Wizards of the Coastâ€™s first introduction of original digital game content designed to engage strategy gamers in new and interesting ways. U:TGGâ„¢ is the perfect blend of depth and playability one would expect from WotC, with a twist on traditional turn-based strategy play mechanics â€“ timed team play (one turn per day).
* While U:TGG is currently in an external beta testing phase with a highly-anticipated launch right around the corner, Wizards of the Coast is spotlighting a sneak peek at exclusive artwork, including new guild networks and The Daily Goblin newsletter, at the booth.
The Eye of Judgmentâ„¢
* Partnering with Hasbro and Wizards of the Coast, Sony Computer Entertainment introduces a new concept in trading card games with The Eye of Judgmentâ„¢ developed exclusively for PlayStationÂ® 3. Utilizing Wizards of the Coastâ€™s trading card expertise and the PlayStationÂ® Eye, The Eye of Judgment provides a visually stunning experience that adds a third dimension to the trading card game genre while allowing players to play solo against the PS3, head-to-head or on-line worldwide.
* The Eye of Judgmentâ„¢ presents a new style of gameplay where collectable trading cards, embedded with a CyberCode, are brought to life in the 3D game. Players compete by strategically selecting a card and placing the coded card in front of the PlayStation Eye bringing their respective creatures to life to battle on screen as they work to control the â€œ9 Fieldâ€ battle mat.
* Fans can see check out the next-generation technology first hand at the Wizards booth.
About Wizards of the Coast
Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc. (NYSE:HAS), is a worldwide leader in the trading card game and tabletop role-playing game categories, and a leading developer and publisher of game-based entertainment products. The company holds an exclusive patent on trading card games (TCGs) and their method of play and produces the premier trading card game, MAGIC: THE GATHERINGÂ®, among many other trading card games and family card and
board games. Wizards is also a leading publisher of roleplaying games, such as Dungeons & DragonsÂ®, and publisher of fantasy series fiction with numerous New York Times best-sellers. For more information, visit the Wizards of the Coast website at wizards.com. For more information, visit www.wizards.com
Â© 2007 Wizards of the Coast, Inc. Wizards of the Coast, Gleemax, Dungeons & Dragons, Dungeons & Dragons Insider, D&D, Magic: The Gathering, Magic Online, and Magic are trademarks of Wizards of the Coast in the USA and other countries. The Eye of Judgement is a trademark of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. and is used with permission.
Thanks to Sydney Siegmeth of Porter Novelli/Seattle.