Atlus’ first MMORPG Neosteam has recently undergone it’s Open Beta Test phase, opening up the servers for North American (and pinoy online gamers) to test and play this steampunk MMO. I have been playing the open beta build quite a bit and here are some initial impressions:
- Crafting System – familiar yet solid with socketed items, crafting, refining and enhancement features
- Steampunk – few online games tackle this genre making this a bit refreshing
- Graphic Settings – love the ability to go low res for slower rigs, or max out the details on your main gaming setup.
- Visual cues – no more asking around about that quest, it’s marked clearly on your map with
- Free to Play – item mall based. IM has the usual exp enhancements etc but hopefully it gets more oomph with more powerful items.
- Lag – probably due to servers located in the US, lag is a bit of a problem especially in crowded areas
- Menu displays – lacking polish, they seem like something from ten years ago with regards to the execution of the UI design
- Needs a better tutorial system – i do think Neosteam would be better served with a more in depth tutorial system. Especially with the crafting and refining systems.
- Server Identities – Why do i get the same characters regardless of which server I’m on. I wanna create both an Elerd and a Rogel Fighter. Not necessarily on the same server due to PVP restrictions but at least on a different server.